Linking related content together
You can link the content of your project together using linked items elements. In this example, you will learn how to link articles about a similar topic. This scenario can be also adjusted to your liking, for example to feature related products on an e-commerce site.
Table of contents
Note: The following steps may differ depending on whether you have already created your content types and content items or not. If you're just starting with the project, learn how to create content types first.
Preparing the content type
To add a linked items element to an existing content type, in this case Article, follow these steps:
- From the app menu, choose Content models.
- Open the Article content type for editing.
- Drag in a Linked items element. Tip: You can also add the element by clicking.
- Type a name for the Linked items element. For example, you can label it Related articles.
- Click Show configuration and limit the element to the Article content type.
- Click Save changes.
Now that you've added a linked items element to a content type, you can go back to Content & Assets and open a specific article you want to link with the related content.
Linking content together
To link related articles to an existing article in the project, in this case the Coffee processing techniques article, follow these steps:
- From the app menu, choose Content & Assets.
- Open the Coffee processing techniques article for editing.
- Choose either Add existing items to add an existing content item or Create new to create a new content item.
After adding linked items to the element, you can reorder, remove, or expand the items to open them for the view. To edit a specific content item, click Edit to open the content item for editing.
The linked content items are independent and can be accessed outside the content items they are used in. This means you only need to edit a specific linked item once and the changes will be automatically reflected everywhere. You can also publish all linked items along with your original article.
In the picture, you can see how the final result could look on a website.
Making changes to published content
Once the Coffee processing techniques article is published, you cannot make any changes. To add new related content to a linked items element or update the content item itself, you first need to create a new version of the item or unpublish the item.