Translating content items
With localization configured for your project, you can start translating content items to other languages. See Adding project languages for more details if you haven't set up your project languages yet.
See how to localize content items inside the app.
Table of contents
Content items can have multiple language variants, depending on the number of languages defined for the project, with each content item identified by its title and codename.
All language variants of a single content item share the following properties:
- Content item title (can only be changed in the default language variant)
- Sitemap location
Translating a content item
Let's see how you can translate a content item from English (United States) to English (United Kingdom). Because these two languages are similar, you can start with copying existing content over from the original version to save time.
To create a new language variant of an existing content item:
- From the app menu, choose Content & Assets .
- Choose the English (United States) project language using the language switcher.
- Open a content item.
- Change the language variant to English (United Kingdom) using the language switcher.
- Click More actions .
- Choose Copy from language.
- Choose Default project language.
Now, continue localizing your content. With the original texts in place, you can adjust the words to match the other variant of English.
Note: After you open the content item in the specified language variant, Kentico Kontent automatically creates a new draft of the content item with empty elements, removing its "Not translated" status.