Organize content for release publishing
As your content grows bigger, you might benefit from organizing it using tags into smaller groups like releases. You can then plan your releases, see what's scheduled for each release, and perform bulk operations like publishing.
Table of contents
Grouping content items into a release
In Kontent, you tag your content items by adding taxonomy terms to them. A taxonomy term is a tag (or label) you add to a group of related content items, such as articles. By tagging your content, you can organize it into smaller groups and work with them as with content releases. The taxonomy terms themselves are organized in groups like folders. These groups are called taxonomy groups. A taxonomy group could be, for example, Releases.
Let's say you have an upcoming pricing update that you'd like to reflect in a few articles. To group the articles together, you'll want to tag them with a taxonomy term designated for the pricing update. This way, you assemble the articles together into one release group which helps you to schedule them for publishing or just check which articles are related to the update.
Creating tags for content releases
Every tag, that is a taxonomy term, needs to be in a taxonomy group. Start by creating a group for your releases.
- In Content model, select the Taxonomies tab.
- Click Create new.
- Type Releases into the Taxonomy group name field.
Now that you have an empty release group, it's time to add terms to it.
- Click Create new Taxonomy term.
- Type a release name into the Taxonomy term name field.
- Click Confirm to add your term.
- (Optional) Repeat the first three steps to create more terms.
- (Optional) Use the button to create a hierarchy of dates with releases nested under them. For example, Q3 > Pricing update.
- Click Save changes.
You've created the Releases taxonomy group with terms for individual releases.
Now you can start tagging your content.
To tag your articles, you need to add a taxonomy element to the articles' content type.
- In Content model, open the relevant content type for editing.
- Insert the Taxonomy element.
- In the element, choose the Releases taxonomy group you've created earlier.
- Click Save changes.
You have the content type prepared. To assemble a release group, start tagging your articles.
- In Content & assets, open the content item you want to add a term to.
- Select the desired release in Releases.
- (Optional) Repeat the previous two steps if you want to tag more articles.
Finding tagged content
When you have your content grouped into releases by tags, you can filter out the articles related to a particular release.
In Content & assets, use the filters on the left to select the desired release in the Taxonomy drop-down.
Now you see all the content items tagged with the selected taxonomy term. You can review what's in your release, use the filtering to easily find what you need, or perform bulk operations on the content.
To process the filtered content in bulk:
- Select the items you want to process.
- If you need to select all the items, select the checkbox next to the Name column header.
- Click More Actions above the list and select an action you would like to perform.
This way, you can, for example, publish or change workflow for all the content items in one release at once.