Create and delete content types
Before you can start writing content, you need to define at least one content type. Content types serve as templates for content items so that each item has a predefined structure.
Table of contents
Creating content types
Each content type consists of content elements, which are essential pieces that you mix and match to create different content types.
- In Content model, click Create new.
- Type a name in Content type name.
- Drag content elements as needed.
- Tip: You can add the elements by clicking.
- (Optional) Add content groups to organize the elements for content creators.
- Click Save changes.
Duplicating content types
If you want to create a different version of the same content type, open it and click Duplicate in the top right. This creates a duplicate of your content type named “Type_name (copy)” in the project.
When defining a content type, you can configure its elements by clicking the Show configuration button.
Each element you add is optional by default and can be set as required in its configuration. Content creators will then know which elements they need to fill in when working with content items.
You can remove any element from a content type at any time, even when the content type is used by a content item.
This action is not reversible. Removing an element from a content type removes the element across all content items with all its data.
Codenames identify objects, such as content types, in Kentico Kontent. A codename is initially generated by the system from the object's name when it is saved for the first time.
You can edit codenames in the UI by clicking the Codename button and then the Edit button or via API by, for example, see modifying a content type.
Rules for codenames
When editing codenames, the new codenames must meet the following conditions:
- Only lowercase letters, numbers, and underscores are permitted.
- Codenames must start with a letter or an underscore and have at least one character.
- Codenames are usually limited to 60 characters, but longer codenames are allowed for multiple choice options and taxonomy terms.
- Codenames of elements within a snippet must be prefixed with the snippet's codename.
- Codenames must be unique.
This means the following applies when codenames are generated automatically:
- All letters are made lowercase.
- All forbidden characters are replaced by
- For any names that start with a number, the codename will start with
- Codenames that duplicate another codename will have a random string attached to the end.
- Codenames of elements within a snippet will be prefixed with the snippet's codename.
- Codenames will be cut off at the character limit.
Deleting content types
If you want to delete a content type that is already used for any components or content items, you need to delete the content items first.
To delete a content type:
- In Content model, use the checkboxes to select the content types you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
The content type is now removed and cannot be restored.
- Organize your elements with content groups when creating content types.
- Configure limitations on your elements to control what needs to be done before publishing.
- Create content type snippets to have the same collections of content elements in multiple content types.
- Use guidelines to give your team useful information for more efficient production.